Land Rover Repair/'98 Disco front end noise

Yesterday at low speed as I moved in to a left-hand turn lane, I detected a knock or pop from my front left wheel/suspension area. I only heard it one other time and that was once back in my driveway, stopped, but still running, I turned the steering wheel back to 12 o'clock and heard it again. I had a helper come out and turn the wheel lock to lock while I watched underneath, but we could no replicate the sound. It is parked for now. I do notice all tie rod end boots are busted - what else should I check - I plan to put on stands Tuesday night and really give this a look. Also, if replacing tie rod ends - I see listing is 3 RH, 1 LH - which one is the LH thread?

Thank you,

Any ties rod ends with split boots should be changed because they are a safety hazard.  However, that is not likely to be the source of your noise.  Your noise is probably from the Panhard rod bushings, the shock bushings, the spring mounts, or the radius arm bushings.  On a 1998 truck all those parts may well be work out.  

I believe the left threat tie rod end is on the pitman arm connection but you can see for sure looking close at the threads before you take it off.  One of them threads the opposite way.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.