Land Rover Repair/air in cooling sytem

Disco 1.  Have replaced pump, viscous fan, coolant & rodded radiator.  Cannot expel all air, is a sloshing noise in cabin heater matrix. Air permanently in coolant is not good. Sensible cars have bleed valves strategically positioned!
Note bypass water outlet sits higher than thermostat in casting. Whilst this cannot be changed, thinking of taking out pipe fitting & coaxing a tube (not copper!) into pipe fitting to draw coolant from base of thermostat housing.  Air should eventually expel via top hose.   Your thoughts.

Other wise water outlet at valley casting continuously circulates water to cabin heater matrix & back to inlet radiator hose. Good for cold climates. Not so sunny QLD. Thinking of installing Gates type 4 way diverter.

If you can't purge the air from a system in Queensland you've probably got a head gasket or engine block leak (crack)  In a warm climate that system should purge itself straight away.   

We use a vacuum filling system in our shop, and you could try the same.  The system sucks all the air out and then it draws a fill of coolant from a tank.  That's the easiest way to fill these trucks without the need to bleed them, etc.  But they should bleed anyway and when they don't it's a sign you are getting new air in there from leakage

Here are links to some articles I wrote on the situation :

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.