Land Rover Repair/alt. not charging battery

1999 disco 2 I have change 2 time my altenator an it wont charge the battery. installed a charge battery truck runs but as soon as I take off the positive cable it stops running. as it run I test the line from the altenator to the battery an theres juice, disconnect it an its stop running. Both altenator are NEW. Thank you for your help.

It's time to get a wiring diagram and go to work.  The alternator is a simple circuit.  Does the battery light come on, with the key on before the engine is started?  If no, you need to fix that or it won't charge.  If yes, check your wiring from alternator to battery.  If that is good you probably installed a defective alternator.  Are you using cheap rebuilds from a mass merchandiser?  If so, I've seen people go through 4-5 to get a good unit.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.