Land Rover Repair/2000 range rover hse 4.6l

please could you enlighten me as to what the problem might be with my brakes.i have an issue when first starting the car that my brakes do not work for about 20 secs. the pedal goes straight to the floor with very little resistance. after about 20 secs or so the brakes work fine. i have no leaks in the system. appreciate your feedback.

The problem is probably one of three things:
- The pump that builds brake pressure may not be working at first.  It's on the driver fender well and should be audible at startup
- The accumulator ball that holds brake pressure may be discharged.  You know this is happening if you jab the pedal 3-4 times in quick succession and see a brake warning lamp
- The brake master unit may be failing.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.