Land Rover Repair/1973 LR series III; driving home; stopped dead

Question
I'm resurrecting an old one. It's been starting well and running well (after many repair).  New battery.  Tonight was chilly but no trouble starting; drove to my friend's (1/2 mile); when restarting, pulled out choke, and took a few turns to start (usually pops right off), drove around the bend, nearly home; everything went dead; coasted into my driveway; no turnover, just clicking switch.

Only funny thing was that the L indicator light was on steady if I clicked in while driving home; the R light blinked as usual.

Any ideas?

Thank you,  germaine

Answer
The L light being on steady probably means one of the left bulbs is out.  I doubt it has any connection to the truck not running.  The wiring on those old Rovers is often very marginal and I expect the issue is in the circuit from battery to generator and starter, and from battery to switch to coil and distributor.

There is no specific tip I can give you because so many of those trucks are really hand wired and they vary a lot.  Start by making sure the battery is good.  Test for power at the starter.  Does the starter solenoid get power when you turn the key to crank?  If not, the trouble is in that circuit. If so, look at the starter.  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison