Land Rover Repair/Discovery 2 Key Problem

Question
2003 D2,  sporadically the key fails to turn fully in the ignition switch.  Usually can overcome this with wiggling and jiggling the key and trekking wheel.  I've been told the metal used in the D2 keys were softer than the tumblers in the ignition switch and having a new key cut will fix this.  The dealer is quoting $150 for a new key.  Is this the solution and is there a less costly fix?

Answer
In my experience the problem is most often the column lock assembly, not the key.  If I am right in your case the fix is closers to $800 so I'd say the answer to the question you ask os probably no.  The first step is indeed to try a new key, but the next step 90% of the time is a new column lock.  And the new key must be activated by the dealer test system, so it's not a DIY thing.

Some independent shops (like us) have equipment to code keys but most do not.  Don't waste your time with a shop that isn't equipped for the job when shopping around.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison