Land Rover Repair/Cost to replace a transmission on a 2003 Discovery II SE7

I was wondering what kind of ball part labor cost one should expect to pay for replacing a transmission of a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II SE7 (V8)? About how many hours of labor should one expect to pay for?

Meaning the removal of the non working transmission and the installation of a good transmission. Just the cost of labor only. I can get an idea of the parts cost from searching the web, but I can't seem to find a reasonable gauge of time to replace a transmission on a Discovery II.

Removing and replacing the transmission could take 6-10 hours.  Variables wold be whether the transfer case is taken off and refitted too, and whether the exhaust and crossmember come off without breaking fasteners, which take time to drill and replace.

There may also be time to replace seals on the (used) transmission and change fluid and filter.  The transfer case may need seals and there can be time to fix the linkage if it's corroded.  If there are multiple complications the time can go over 10 hours but most jobs will fall in that time window

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.