Land Rover Repair/wire shorting out, battery goes dead

I have a 2001 Discovery Land Rover. The battery goes dead if I don't disconnect it. I took it to the Mechanic and he traced it to fuse FL 13. He can't figure out what wire it is connected to. Can you help me out.

Hi Bruce,

FL 13 is a Fusible Link (FLn) with FL13 being the lighting switch.  It is advised that replacing a fusible link should be performed by the dealer or a LR mechanic.  A FL "is a  special type of wire that protects a circuit that has constant high current requirements and must resist high surges in the circuit".  Extreme caution advised.  My guess is somewhere within the lighting system you have a problem.  Check your bulbs and the socket holders starting at the rear of the Disco.  Could be a bulb, a wire, a switch...

Best of luck,

Land Rover Repair

John McInnis

Land Rover Discovery. I've had most of the common mechanical failures, altenator, water leaks, wiper failure, door/hinge problems, roof rust, floor rust, loads of electrical problems. Remember, I'm not a dealer or a mechanic, just an owner like most of you.

Owner of a Discovery. I've had many mishaps with our Disco but I still like this vehicle. Talk to a fellow LR owner instead of a dealership rep. I'm not in this for the money. I'm just an owner who wants to help others.