Land Rover Repair/land rover electrics

I have a 1997 Discovery. One day it was working fine, the next my key fob wouldn't open the doors. So I opened the door with the key, the alarm didn't go off so     I thought it must be the battery but no, battery is fine. No lights on the ignition, clocks , nothing. The only electrical thing that works is the warning noise when you leave the key in the ignition. All fuses are fine. I checked the main fuses next to the radiator reservoir and the fuses under the steering wheel. Are there others? The car is totally electrically dead. please help. Thanks, from Tim.

It sounds like you have some sort of broad electrical failure.  Possibly corrosion in the fusebox itself, or problems with the connections in or out of the fuse box.  Land Rover had a web site - Land Rover TOPIX - where you can log in, buy a day's access, and download the wiring information for your country.  I suggest starting in the fusebox though.

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.