Land Rover Repair/1996 Range Rover 4.6 HSE

My Range Rover has a voltage drop about every 15-18 seconds when running. I notice it most if I sit idling for any amount of time, most notably in the green odometer display as it dips, along with a small pop in the speakers. I can sit in driveway with door open and see the dome light dip considerably as well. It does this even with lights on or off, A/C on or off, etc. Can you suggest what else I should be looking for? I am pretty proficient, having reasonable understanding of electrical systems and repairs.

What you should do is put a clamp on current probe in the power line and determine if the voltage drops because of a momentary current surge, or because of momentary alternator failure.  If it's a surge you don't have too many heavy consumers of power to check.  If alternator cutout, replace it.  Imminent breakdown of the fusebox connectors is also a possibility

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.