Land Rover Repair/Fuel Injection

Question
QUESTION: John, I would like to put a 4.6 in my 1980 MGB however the 4.6 FE will not fit under the hood. Will the 4.0 FE work on this motor & do you have a complete 4.0 FE set up for sale?

ANSWER: There is no difference in the fuel injection between 4.0 and 4.6.  Maybe you are looking at newer or older motors? There were three generations of fuel injection , 14CUX 1987-1995, GEMS 1995-1999, and Bosch Moronic 1999-2004.  They look different

4.6
4.6  

4.0
4.0  
QUESTION: Thank you for your response. I am looking at older engines (1998 to 2005)

Answer
Right, within that window there are GEMS and Bosch engines.  There is no difference re 4.0/4.6.  

The top photo is a Bosch motor.  The bottom GEMS.  It sounds like you want to find the bottom style in 4.6L

When you get a motor remember you will need the correct control unit for the fuel injection.  GEMS and Bosch don't have any shared parts.

Also - there are companies in the UK selling racing control units for both - we see people fit them when these engines are in Morgans, etc.  Not sure where to look for them but they are out there, tho not street legal in USA

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison