Land Rover Repair/Rust

Hello John,
We have a 07 Ranger Rover all wheel drive that my wife got after her dad passed away. He wanted my wife to have the car!!! The car was shipped to us here in California from Massachusetts and has signs of rust and oxidation all under the car!!!  This Rover only has 27,000 miles on it but Mass. uses so much salt on there roads in the winter!!!! Crazy!!!! What I am asking is, do you know of any way to stop the rust and is there a outfit here near Simi Valley, Cal. that we could have the car treated and coated?? Any help you can give us on this will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks so much,
Scotty Safford

This is what we do at Robison Service:

We start by removing all the plastic shields and covers, including the wheel wells
We power wash the entire underside to remove packed mud, etc from crevices
All rust flake is scraped or wire brushed
Bare metal is painted with POR15 or similar rust-bonding paint
After that cures (1-2 days) we spray the bottom with black WaxOyl and use the clear cavity material in frame crevices, door panels, etc.

While that will not reverse the effects of rust it will significantly slow its progress.  In a shop like ours that job might cost $1,200-2,000 depending on how rusty the truck is.  If it extends the service life 3-4 years it's good value in my opinion

Pay attention to brake and fuel pipes - they can be a weakness particularly in back

Also look to the frame behind the back wheels  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.