Land Rover Repair/Transmission Fault

QUESTION: I recently got a Land Rover LR3 2009 model. The car drives fine until I embark on a journey of more than an hour with intermittent stops as a result of traffic congestion. A display then pops up on the board saying ' transmission fault, limited gear available' and then brings out an 'F' sign which in turn doesn't allow the gear to change any more. This happens when Ive had a long drive faced with intermittent traffic. I do not experience this if I'm on a free way. What could possibly be the problem.

ANSWER: Your next step is to scan the transmission for faults and see where that leads you.  You may need to seek out a shop with the specialist Land Rover test gear for that job

QUESTION: I have done that already. I had my car scanned for faults and nothing was found. The specialist advised that it could be an electrical problem but couldn't point out exactly what may cause it. What could be the possible problems that may result to such error message?

ANSWER: There are always faults when that light comes on.  But you need the special Land Rover test system to see them   A generic scanner will show "no faults" because it only scans the engine.  

QUESTION: I tried changing the transmission oil to the recommended one by Land Rover and the problem became worse. Now I drive for just 5mins and get the fault. I drove to my technician with the fault and he had it scanned. Two faults were read: 1. Incorrect gear ratio 2. Incorrect gear 5 ratio. What could this possibly mean?  Pls assist.

The incorrect gear ratio faults often indicate slippage in the gearbox, which is an internal failure.  It's sounding more like you need a transmission overhaul, but I urge you to have whomever does this work be a shop with the proper scan tools and diagnostic knowledge.  You could have valve body problems, clutch problems, or both, and you need a skilled person to sort what they find.  This is not a simple generalist garage job

In the USA a transmission overhaul might cost $5,000 US dollars

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.