Land Rover Repair/Air in cooling system

Question
Good day Mr. Robinson. I have a 2000 land Rover Discovery which has been running hot ever since I left the coolant reservoir Cap off. I have replaced the original thermostat. Refilled the coolant reservoir, but it is still running hot. I don't think I did a very good job, bleeding the system, I'm hoping that I have air in the system.  Could you tell me the best way to bleed the cooling system? Do you think this is a possibility? Thanks for your time,  and effort.

Kenneth

Answer
The system should be self bleeding.  Drive round with the heat on high to make sure there is water through the heater core.  If you get hot air, there is.  If that is the case, there is probably an internal problem in the engine, and the thermostat was not your original issue.  You might look at the articles on Land Rover cooling system and liner failure on my blog

Most of the time, chronic hot running is a early sign of block failure

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison