Land Rover Repair/Head gasket and dashboard lights

Mr. Robison,
Hope you don't mind me combining 2 different types of questions. So, here goes - I'm looking at buying a 2004 Land Rover Discovery (with @ 150,000 miles) from the current owner, however, there are 2 issues with the vehicle: 1) The head gasket is leaking and the owner has put some type of liquid sealant on it to stop the leak. 2) Dashboard light indicators - "Check Engine" light stays on and "Three Amigos" light comes on intermittently. He is asking less than $3000 for the vehicle so do you believe it would be worth the expense of fixing these problems to buy this Land Rover?

A proper repair to the engine will cost 13k in a shop like ours.  Google "Land Rover liner replacement" to learn more.

You should assume the three amigos is a $2k problem as well.

IN light of that, what's the truck worth to you?

We do get clients commissioning this kind of work on really clean trucks.  They often see this as an alternative to spending $100k on a Defender for a beach or summer car.  

Land Rover Repair

John Elder Robison

I own J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We are Bosch Car Service for Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes, and other European lines. I can answer most questions about Land Rover service or repair. I'm known as a car enthusiast, machine aficianado, photographer, writer, and speaker. I've been around Land Rovers and British cars most of my life. Visit me at my car business, or my author website, Check out my autism and writing blog at or my photos on John Elder Robison

I have been a Land Rover service manager since Land Rover returned to North America in 1987. My company is a four-star Bosch Car Service facility, known nationwide for Land Rover service, overhaul, customization, and restoration. In addition to Land Rover our company services BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls_Royce, and Bentley motorcars. We have factory-plus-level service capability for all makes. Visit my company online at > service > land rover Also visit my blog at

In the Land Rover world, my writing can be found in various print magazines and online at robisonservice.blogspot,com. In the wider publishing world, my work is published by 20 publishers in over 50 countries. Mt books Look Me in the Eye, Be Different and Raising Cubby have made US and international bestseller lists.

I am ASE certified, Bosch Trained, and trained by Omnitec/T4 and Autologic on their Land Rover test systems.