Landscaping & Design/Landscape fence

Question
Hello.  My name is Curtis.  I own a house on the eastern (prairie) edge of Colorado Springs, Colo.  The house (like all the houses in the subdivision) was built @ 1995 and sits on about 1/5 of an acre of land.  The area is about Zone 5, lots of sun, little precipitation and little grows naturally except native grasses and small shrubs (e.g. rabbit brush, potentilla, etc.).  The actual soil is about pH 6 and has sand in it.  Typically, the developer flattened the whole area, put up a bunch of houses, enclosed the lots with ceder fencing, and sprinkled about 1 inch of actual topsoil down to help the sod grow.  The point of all this is, the ceder fences are all looking bad.  Some people are replacing them now -- with more ceder fencing!  I hate the look of it and I would like to replace mine with a landscape (plant) fence.  I'm writing to you for guidance in this.  THe landscape fence must meet a few basic criteria: 1.) It needs to provide privacy without becomming too bushy.  I don't want it encroaching over into my neighbor's property or my own, whereby it starts to feel like it's making my backyard smaller.  Something collumnar perhaps?  2.) It needs to be inpenatrable - especially at the ground - to keep dogs from being able to traverse from one lot to another.  3.) It needs to be effective year 'round.  It's okay if it looses its leaves in the autumn, but it still needs to afford privacy and protection [from dogs] all the time.  So my question is, what plant (or plants -- I understand that there may be a few types required to make this work) can you suggest and what planting tips can you offer?  Thanks a lot.  -- Curtis

Answer
Hello,

Here is a list of evergreen privacy hedge plants that are drought tolerant and adapted to a desert environment:

Emerald Green Thuga. Grows 8 to 12 feet high,but can be trimmed down. Extremely drought tolerant and disease and insect resistant. Obtains a columnar shape that has a pruned look. Grows in almost any soil from sandy loam to clay. Plant every 3 feet to achieve a thick barrier.

Common Privet (ligustrum vulgare). Grows to 15 feet high. Tolerates wide range of soil conditions. Produces clusters of tiny white flowers. Plant 4 to 6 feet apart.

Atriplex Torreyi. Native to the Southwest. Grows 6 to 8 feet high. Plant 3 to 4 feet apart.

Japanese Barberry (Berberis thunbergii). Grows 4 to 6 feet high. Produces small yellow flowers in April and bright red berries in Fall. Plant 3 to 6 feet apart.

Japanese Quince (Chaenomeles speciosa). Grows 6 to 10 feet high. Tolerates wide range of soil conditions. Produces red flowers in April. Plant 3 to 4 feet apart.

Sea Tomato (Rosa rugosa). Grows to 8 feet high. Produces fragrant single or double white,yellow,pink or purplish red flowers. Also produces bright red tomato shaped fruit. Plant 4 to 6 feet apart.

Snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus). Grows to 6 feet high. Produces pink flowers in May and June and white fruit in late summer to winter. Plant 4 to 6 feet apart.

Mugo pine or juniper could be used as an understory plant if the foilage of the hedge is not sufficiently close to the ground. A wide layer of these plants would discourage animals from entering.  Good luck. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Mark Harshman

For more comprehensive help check out my website at:

http://www.prestoexperts.com/expert/markland  

Landscaping & Design

Mark