Landscaping & Design/water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.

Question
photos
photos  
3 years ago I relocated to DC from the midwest.  For a myriad of reasons, I hate my house and the one redeeming feature was the yard.  UNTIL, last year I started having severe drainage issues.  I have pooled water in a low area of the yard that rarely dries out and my sump pump (in a below grade basement) gushes every 2 minutes on average.  While the water is entertaining for the cat, it does not amuse me.  Every contractor I speak with suggests french drains but I wonder about their viability given that the basement is below grade and the sump pump below the basement.  I need help and a plan!  I've attached a series of photos that I sent to one of the contractors requesting clarification.  If you see anything helpful I'd sure appreciate any help you could give.

Answer
Hello,

French drains can be useful for intercepting water around the perimeter of a house and thus stop it before it gets to the basement. Perhaps that is what the contractor is suggesting.

If the problem is groundwater then a french drain may not be effective since such a drain cannot function below the water table.  Perforated drain pipe is one method to deal with groundwater.  A footing drain around the perimeter of the foundation may be another part of solving the problem,assuming you do not already have such a drain. This type of drain can be used in combination with a FIN drain,which is a permeable board attached to the foundation wall.

You should of course understand what the contractor is proposing to do and what the reasons are for any structures. Your property should be analyzed as a whole to arrive at a satisfactory drainage solution. You say that the pool rarely dries out and that strongly suggests groundwater.  

French drains will reduce the load on the sump pump if the water in question is surface water. You can apply for a permit to attach the sump pump to a storm drain. Such a connection must be installed by a licensed plumber. Other options may include disposing of all or some of the water on your own property by discharing it into a permeable detention area of some type but if the general area contains high groundwater this may not be an option. An underdrainage system connected to some kind of outlet sounds like a better solution. Filling the pooled area in could be an option. A permit is needed to work with any amount of soil over 5 cubic yards. Hauling soil in can be expensive but perhaps the soil could be borrowed from another spot on the site.
Perhaps the water could be pumped out of the pooled area. Having a pump constantly running is not desirable but depending on how much water there is and at what rate it is infiltrating the area,the pump may be able to remove enough water to keep the area dry or simply moist without running constantly. Wind or solar power could reduce the energy costs of such pumping.

I received only one photo. There appears to be a natural swale near the bush to the right of the tree. Perhaps that could be used to some advantage after you get a clear picture of what the exact drainage problem is and obtain a plan of what actions need to be taken. Good luck. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Mark Harshman

For more comprehensive help check out my website at:

http://www.prestoexperts.com/expert/markland  

Landscaping & Design

Mark