Landscaping & Design/Need ideas

My climate zone is 2A.
My property and the neighbouring ones on my street all have a gentle slope that drains into city property bordering a roadway.
My backyard is lower than the ones on either side. After heavy rains, the water from both houses drains into my yard.
A couple years ago I thought I had fixed the problem by building up the soil level. This Spring year has been one of the wettest on records and the water problem is back but not as bad.
I dont feel like adding more soil again. To do this before I had to remove part of the fence. I have since built a new fence, and my wife has added some nice flower beds and garden.
Last week I hand dug a trench along each neighbours fence to the lowest point at my back fence. About 3' wide by 20' long.
This has worked well, and my kids love playing boats in the water.I dont like the idea of standing water, so need some ideas for landscaping these trenches.
My thoughts are to rake grass and leaves into the trenches until it builds up,hopefully still able to drain, or can I plant something in there?
Thanks for any thoughts!

I would first look into draining the water away to an outlet. If the outlet would be on city property you will have to apply for a permit to drain to it. Perhaps you could install a perforated drain pipe and cover it with soil and gravel and create a large french drain.

Another option may be to create an underground retention area. This could be a concrete or plastic vault,an area of gravel or other permeable media or a series of large diamter corrugated pipe. The surrounding soil would have to be permeable enough and of sufficient volume to absorb the drainage water or you an outlet will be needed to drain the water to. This would allow you to plant over the area.  I would not recommend using leaves for water retention. That could produce odor and attract pests.

An at grade retention area consisting of stones or gravel covered with soil may be an option if the surrounding soil is permeable enough to accept the drainage water or can be piped or channeled to another suitable outlet.

A planted or rock lined drainage ditch leading to an outlet could be another option. Construct the ditch in a V shape. You want to either drain the water away to an outlet or make structures that will allow the water to drain away into the surrounding soil.  Just ponding the water is not desirable. The water must drain away in 48 to 72 hours. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Mark Harshman

For more comprehensive help check out my website at:  

Landscaping & Design

Design of landscape structures and design of planting arrangements in the landscape. I usually do not answer questions of a horticultural nature or about growing plants or gardening unless they are related to design. I will answer these questions at my discretion. I will answer maintenance questions at my discretion,usually when they are related to design. I am a landscape designer. I am not a contractor or a gardener. Although I will describe how something is built I do not provide detailed installation or construction instructions. Here are example categories of problems I can help you with: Design of residential walks,low walls,low retaining walls,fences,drainage systems,arbors,plant selection,xeriscapes (low water use landscapes),rain garden design,rain water harvesting,permeable paving,sustainable drainage. No advise on an architectural or engineering level. I DO NOT PERFORM ACTUAL DESIGN WORK THROUGH THIS SITE. I only provide suggestions and advice. For more comprehensive help check out my website at:

Landscape concept plan for a 30,000 square feet housing site. Involved site recon by pace measurements and photographs and a site analysis and a site analysis report and recommendations and a preliminary cost estimate. Design elements included canopy trees,shrub cover,accent flowers,trash receptacles,benches and planters. Landscape concept plan for a 7,000 square feet site for a community center. Involved site recon by tape measurements and photographs,a site analysis and the creation of 3 conceptual designs for the site. Work was done through a local professional design center. Design elements included tree garden,playground,sitting area,lawn,cooking area,lighting and concrete and brick paving. Landscape concept plan for a 3,000 square feet housing site. Involved site recon by tape measurements and photographs and a site analysis. Concluded in 3 concept designs for the site,shown at a formal presentation,a site analysis and recommendations. Work was done through a community volunteer program. Design elements included decks,a playground and fencing. Briefly as draftsman for landscape designer/gardener. Conceptual landscape design for residence. Involved site recon by tape and pace measurements and site analysis. Design included covered patio area,ground cover and flower beds. Two years experience as draftsman for transportation department in engineering firm and for engineering consultants to phone company. Duties consisted of plotting topography. Survey crew member. General assistant to surveyor. Work was done for U.S. Army and County Highway Department. No instrument work. Duties included tape measurement,holding graduated survey rod and plumb bob for sighting and clearing brush. Marketed Landscape Design Services. Brochure writing,promotional material and marketing graphics.

Course in Computer Aided Drafting. 700 hours in AutoCad 2000. 700 hours to date on AutoCad Light 2000. Certificate in Manual Drafting. 1200 hours drafting time. Course in Civil Engineering Technology. (One Semester)

From Civil Engineer: I am very impressed with your work and with the obvious thought you have put into the marketing of your venture. It was especially good to see a print of that job we discussed on the phone. I wish you much luck with the venture as I do with your plans for school. Im darn proud of you buddy. And by the way,when I get my license,maybe you will consider me for a consulting job down the road. I hope to get together with Rick sometime soon and I would really like to show him your stuff if its ok with you. From all these questions you ask I get the feeling that you are genuinely interested and have put alot of thought into the idea and process of landscape architecture and if you could possibly afford the cost I would urge you to take some classes in the areas you are most interested in. The subject is not so simple as it appears,mixing science and engineering with art and a certain amount of religion to create a comfortable and pleasing balance between man and nature. A thoughtful soul like yours can do this but it can be a lifes work getting it right.