Landscaping & Design/trees near pool, deck, and driveway

Question
Hello, I am hoping to plant some trees for shade near my above ground swimming pool. I have a deck around my pool that stands around 6 feet tall with a railing that is another 4 feet off the floor of the deck (10 feet). My driveway runs right next to the decking leaving a 4 ft. space where I would like to plant the trees. So, I am looking for a type of tree that will offer some shade to the deck with foilage 10 ft and taller that will not penetrate it's roots through my driveway ruining the blacktop. I would like to plant them in this 4 ft space. I am also concerned about trees that flower or fruit because I do not want to attract bees around the pool. I am also concerned about the leaves in the fall. I don't want a mess to clean out of the pool every fall. I live in Ohio and the area ranges from wet to dry depending on the climate. There is not very good drainage from the 4 ft area when it rains. The area is in full day sun. Temps range from -15 to 105 degrees depending on the season.Do you have any suggestions for me?????

Answer
Hello,

Below is a list of flowering and non-flowering evergreen street trees. Limiting yourself to non-flowering will reduce your choices,so you may want to reconsider that. None of these trees will do well in wet soil. If the soil floods and then drains out within 48 hours,that should be fine.

Evergreen Pear (flowering)

Southern Magnolia (flowering)

California Pepper Tree (flowering)

Eucalyptus Microtheca (flowering)

Alligator Juniper (non-flowering,fruit inconspicuous)

Silk Oak (Grevilla robusta) (flowering,fruit inconspicuous)

Sitka Spruce (non-flowering)

Silver Dollar Gum (Eucalyptus polyanthemos) (flowering)

Canary Island Pine (flowers not significant)

Torrey Pine (flowering)

Bishop Pine (flowering)

Red Western Cedar (Thuja Plicata) (flowers not significant)

Carob Tree (flowering)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Mark Harshman

For more comprehensive help check out my website at:

http://www.prestoexperts.com/expert/markland

Landscaping & Design

Mark