Landscaping & Design/Property divider

Question
Property Divider
Property Divider  
We just built our home last yr. and of course it still needs work. We general contracted the whole thing and did most of the work. The house is Italianate Style. We need ideas on dividing the properties. In the picture I sent we have our driveway and about 8 ft on the left to our property line. So thats what we have to work with. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you

Answer
Hello:

I would suggest the following,used singly or in combination:

Allee Trees

Fence

Wall

Low Wall

Hedge

Here is a list of allee trees:

Allee Elm (good canopy tree,can be planted at large size)

Linden (street and canopy tree)

Green Ash

Quaking Aspen

Birch

Maple

Here is a list of hedge shrubs:

Juniper

Forsythia.

Spirea

Lilac

Holly

Arborvitae.

Thuja Giant

Privet

The elements that you place in this area should be to some degree dictated by the conditions of the site. For instance,do you need protection from wind at this property line?  If so,you may want to plant a windbreak rather than going with a fence or wall. Do you need protection from the sun?  Then,you may want to plant trees.

The basis for a good landscape design is a site analysis that takes climate and other factors into consideration. For an example of a questionaire on site analysis see the Information section of my website.

Mark Harshman

For more comprehensive help check out my website at:

http://www.prestoexperts.com/expert/markland

Landscaping & Design

Mark