Landscaping & Design/Gravel path on a steep slope

How can I stabilise a gravel path that runs straight down a steep slope?  
Unfortunately we don't have the opportunity to widen the path or create any curves. The path is very slippery due to the steep angle.  
Could some type of wire netting be fastened over the path surface for grip or is it more effective to create steps.  If it is the latter, could you suggest how we could add steps to an existing gravel path?

Thank you for your time.

You have at least 3 options: Adding a grid to hold the gravel, applying a polymer to bind the gravel all together,or adding treads periodically to decrease the slope of the path.  Of the 3, I think the treads are the easiest to install by a typical homeowner. The other two methods require a bit more expertise to install, but may perhaps fit your situation better.  Here are a few examples of what I am referring to:

1. Mechanical stabilization/grid cells:

2. Chemical treatment/polymer binders:

3. Add wood, stone or brick steps/treads:

Hope it helped! Happy New Year ~Marc

Landscaping & Design

Marc Chapelle, RLA

I am a licensed Landscape Architect. I can answer general questions about style and design, give you ideas and suggestions for site amenities, help with larger site-planning issues, or perhaps give guidance for recreational amenities & park design. IF YOU ARE GOING TO ASK FOR A PLANT SUGGESTION GO HERE: I prefer you ask somebody else why your petunias are not as perky as they should be; I'd LOVE to tell you how those petunias can increase your home's value!

20+ years of working with homeowners, contractors, developers and local civil engineering/architecture firms. I am located in the dry Great Basin area (Greater Nevada/Utah), so the use of landscape materials OTHER than plants is emphasized. As a licensed Landscape Architect I've worked on both the East and West Coasts.

BSLA in Landscape Architecture,Licensed in NV, CA, & VA - but can answer Q's across the country Many additional seminars, educational venues, and classes (both taught & attended)

Best Multifamily project, Reno/Sparks Builder's Association Best Model Home Landscaping, Reno/Sparks Builder's Association