Landscaping & Design/Retaining wall

I  am wanting to create a small flower garden/patio area behind our house. our house is sitting in a low spot. there is a large hill behind our house but I will have to cut into to create our garden. I want to create a retaining wall and my wife and I pride ourselves in being very frugal. I would like to know the cheapest wait to build a retaining wall that still looks good.

Thanks for the Question Cory.

The cheapest retaining wall you can build requires you to obtain your own materials. Many people do this by starting a collection of local native stones.

Permission may have to be obtained by the owner of the land though.

After collecting your stones, you will then have to educate yourself on how to build a wall. I would suggest going to the library to save money on purchasing books.

Remember that this is an art, craft, and a trade that takes people years to master so don't rush this.

Here is a link to get you started.

Best of luck with your project.  

Landscaping & Design

Kevin Goulding

I can answer questions about construction techniques for dry-laid ( mortarless ) projects with natural stone and manufactured products as well. I can give details on preparation work for hardscaping in harsh northern climates with deep winter frost. I can also provide you with PDF files with thorough step by step how-to's on many other landscaping projects in your yard. I can answer questions on planting and transplanting trees, how to seed a yard, how to sod a yard and how to properly work with edging and landscaping fabrics. I prefer not to give information on softscaping unless it is related to my climate/hardiness zone. I am in zone 4.

10 years of landscaping and training other landscapers.

I have been studying landscaping technique for many years. I spend many hours reading, researching and cross referencing different techniques used all around the world. I have also taken a landscape design course through ICS so I could understand basic residential design. I have used all the tips and different techniques I have studied, and put this together with my experience as a landscaper to write a series of how-to modules. My modules are thorough, and very easy to read and follow.