Landscaping & Design/Step stone material choice

Hi, I would like to know what material is the best choice when looking for pre-made garden stepping stones. I only need 4-5 of them total to have a path from the edge of a concrete slab patio so I'm not trudging through dirt (and mud during the rain) to reach the  water spigot my hose attaches to. Thanks for your help!

Hi Jenn.

There are many different companies that manufacture stepping stones. This will leave you with many choices. I would recommend concrete for a durable and relatively slip free surface.    

A trip to Home Depot or a landscape supply yard will help you find what you are looking for. Manufactured stones have come a long way and can be found in many different shapes and sizes now.

As far as specific products or names, I usually don't make recommendations as to what may be available in another market. (What I may use here, may not be available in your area).

Thanks for the question and enjoy your project.

Landscaping & Design

Kevin Goulding

I can answer questions about construction techniques for dry-laid ( mortarless ) projects with natural stone and manufactured products as well. I can give details on preparation work for hardscaping in harsh northern climates with deep winter frost. I can also provide you with PDF files with thorough step by step how-to's on many other landscaping projects in your yard. I can answer questions on planting and transplanting trees, how to seed a yard, how to sod a yard and how to properly work with edging and landscaping fabrics. I prefer not to give information on softscaping unless it is related to my climate/hardiness zone. I am in zone 4.

10 years of landscaping and training other landscapers.

I have been studying landscaping technique for many years. I spend many hours reading, researching and cross referencing different techniques used all around the world. I have also taken a landscape design course through ICS so I could understand basic residential design. I have used all the tips and different techniques I have studied, and put this together with my experience as a landscaper to write a series of how-to modules. My modules are thorough, and very easy to read and follow.