Landscaping & Design/Carrotwood trees

I have 3 Carrotwood trees in my yard that I occasionally trim.  How safe is it to use the wood out of the trees as firewood?

Hey, Carl.

It should be safe as long as you don't build a fire that's too large for your fireplace.

If you're going to burn wood, though, please make sure your chimney has spark arrestors on it.

Also, if you burn the branches, twigs, and leaves, or even mature wood with lots of sap in it, you might find that it's a stinky type of wood, so I'd probably burn it outdoors rather than indoors.

Hope that helps.

Landscaping & Design

Russel Ray

I can answer questions about water-wise landscaping, xeriscaping, and using native vegetation, cactus, and succulents to create a home paradise that won't increase your water bill.

My wise ol' grandmother got me started with cactus and succulents 42 years ago. The rest, as they say, is history.

National Association of Certified Home Inspectors, Better Business Bureau of San Diego

After graduating from Texas A&M University, I started a plant-sitting business in Houston to take care of the house plants when people went on vacation. That went on for five years before I moved back to College Station and started several businesses, one of which was a landscaping business specializing in "dry" landscaping.

The privilege of working with people.