Landscaping & Design/changing from grass to rocks

Question
We have a rental property in Albuquerque that has (had) a nice front lawn the tenant didn't water for about a year and it's pretty much dead.

Does grass that hasn't been watered in a while ever come back?

We're thinking now might be the time to replace it with rocks - the question is should we cut & roll up the sod before putting the rocks down?  I've been told we could just put down plastic sheeting over the grass. Probably easier but not sure it's the best in the long run.  Low maintenance will be a real plus for new tenants as water in Abq is quite expensive.

Thanks,

Jerry

Answer
Grass that is dead won't come back, but there probably dormant grass seeds in all that grass, and water will cause them to sprout and grow.

I have done the Southwest landscaping both ways, leaving the sod and removing it. I usually left it and covered it with plastic if I was doing rocks. If re-landscaping with drought-resistant grass and xeriscape plants, I removed the sod.

Hope that helps.

Russel

Landscaping & Design

Russel Ray