Landscaping & Design/pea gravel to mulch sedum ground creepers

Question

In an area about 30ft x 10ft I have grond creeping sedum on soil that is being eroded by rain and watering. To mulch it I am contemplating the use of pea gravel (white or mostly white), and I write to ask you where to find it, since most of what I've seen on google searches is grey or mixed shades. Should I try places like Lowe's and Walmart (I think these showed small bags and the white gravel was mostly for aquariums, perhaps man-made. Or should I try garden centers or quarries (the latter seem to sell mostly in large bulk.) Any suggestions?

All best,
G

Answer
Sorry about the delay.  Forgot to turn on the vacation notification.  Yes, you can special order it in 1/2 cubic foot (30#) bags from Home Depot, if they don't carry the particular color you want.  Different materials suppliers in different areas (yes, I go to different Home Depots when I travel!) will have differing colors & bag sizes of pond pebbles, decorative pea rock, etc.  Green, grey, white, brown, and red pea gravels.  Vigoro is one brand; There are others offered by Home Depot, True Value, Lowes, and farm bulk suppliers.  Order it on-line and they might even deliver for free to either your nearest store or doorstep.  

If your heart is set on "white" you'll probably pay extra as this color is not as naturally occurring as brown or grey.  Our white gravel/pebbles come from Mexico here on the West Coast.  A less expensive substitution might be to use ground oyster shells, more plentiful in the east.

For a 30 x 10 area, it would take 50 cubic feet to cover it in 2 inches of rock. That would be about one hundred 1/2 c.f. bags.  At $5.00/bag, thats $500, +tax.  It would be cheaper to have it delivered in bulk.  50 cubic feet is a bit less than 2 cubic yards, or 1/2 a truckload, which should be a lot less than $500!

Hope it helps.

Landscaping & Design

Marc Chapelle, RLA