Language Arts for Kids/Diagramming Sentences

Question
Dear Mrs. Lenc,

My name is Carmen and am in 7th grade. I am having trouble diagramming the following sentences, could you please help me?

1. Will they ever climb to the top of that hill?
2. By the end of the day, the scout troop had reached the summit.
3. They were tired and hungry after the long hike up the steep trail.

Thank you very much,
Carmen

Answer
Dear Carmen,
Thanks for your question.  
Try always to make a question a statement.  They will climb (ever) to the top of the hill.
Subject : they
Verb: will climb
adverb: ever under verb
Prep. Phrase: to the top (under the verb, will climb
Prep. phrase: of the hill (prep. phrase modifying the object of the last prep. phrase, top.
     Diagram under the word top.

2 Sentence is a sentence made up of 1 independent clause and 2 prepositional phrases.
Indep. clause: the scout troop had reached the summit.
Subject: troop
Adjectives modifying troop: the, scout under troop
Verb: had reached
Prep phrase: by the end (diagram under verb had reached,
Prep. phrase of the day..modifies the word end at the end of the previous prep. phrase:
     diagram under the word, end
direct object: summit
adjective: the under summit
Again a long independent clause...with several prep. phrases.
Subject: they
Verb: were
Compound predicate adjectives: tired and hungry
Prep. Phrase: after the long hike ...diagram under verb, were
Prep. phrase: up the steep trail...diagram under the object of the previous prep. phrase: hike.

You can check how each of the following items at my website:

http://teachro.publiccomputingservices.org/

For the prep. phrases modifying each other's object...click on prepositional phrases.
Hope this helps you.  If you have other questions, feel free to call on me.

Mrs. Lenc
Thanks for using AllExperts.  

Language Arts for Kids

Rosemary Lenc