Language Arts for Kids/Literature

There's a story my daughter is working on.  A character named Herbert wishes for 200 pounds.  When someone offers the said amount that would satisfy Herbert's wish, his response is "200 pounds would "clear the house".

"Clear the house" sounds like a slang expression.  What does it mean?

Matthew Bono

Dear Matt,
Herbert wishes for 200 pounds (money).  His response is: 200 pounds (money) would clear the house..meaning the 200 pounds would pay off the house.  (Pay off the remaining money needed to pay off the house)
Hope this helps you and your daughter.

Thanks for using AllExperts.
Mrs. Lenc

Language Arts for Kids

Rosemary Lenc

I am a retired Middle School teacher. I am an expert in grammar (structure of the English language) and writing. I have been a volunteer with AOL Ask A Teacher and have submitted many articles and special collections (one on diagramming sentences and one with worksheets and answers so students can check their own practice on grammar skills) to their knowledge database. I still am with them but would like other work where I can help students with their English study. I have time to help you with this, if you want me. I can help with grade school, middle school and high school grammar & writing and can also look up information on literature (reading) for students and help them with it. Please let me know if I can be of help in these areas. Thank you. Rosemary Lenc

Past/Present clients
Have helped many, many students in grade school language arts, middle school and high
school grammar and writing in both the chat rooms (live help that AOL use to have) and
message board answers plus the many students i have taught as a teacher.