Language Arts for Kids/REQUEST OF EXPLANATIONS ABOUT AMERICAN ENGLISH WORDS AND PHRASES

Question
Could you please explain me what is a LIVING HOUSE?

I found this word in the following context that an American woman wrote me about her bad life mentioned below:

"I understand about having an elderly mother, mine is 81 and has Alzheimers Disease, and Thomas's mother is 82 and unable to live at home, she is in an assisted living home forever now."

She also wrote me this phrase listed below:

We are unable to get him the surgery he needs for his back because our share would exceed $20,000.00.  I get my insurance from my employer because it is 10 times more expensive through Obamacare. Could you also be so kind to explain me the word "SHARE" in in this context? Unfortunately I'm Italian and I strive to improve American English.

Thank you.
         GIULIANO

Answer
In your first example the key term you are looking at is assisted-living home.  Assisted and living must be kept together.  This is an elderly care situation where the older people are helped to care for their own needs.

In your second example you need to understand American insurance companies.  In America when you have a medical bill, the insurance pays a percentage share and the injured or sick pays part.  For example my insurance pays 80% of the bill and my SHARE is 20% of the bill.

Hope that helps.

Debra

Language Arts for Kids

Debra Duenas