Language Arts for Kids/stilts in diagramming

I am so grateful to have found this site!

I am diagramming with my 5th grade son, and we don't understand why stilts are used. Right now we are considering this sentence: Jesus, who rose, is King, and He is glorified. Why is "glorified", as a predicate adjective (participle)  written on a stilt and not below the sentence on a curved line?  We want to understand the purpose of the stilt.

Thank you for considering our question.

Dear Jennifer,

First, you need to realize you have a compound sentence. Always diagram the first independent clause first and then down below that one, the second independent clause.
First independent clause is: Jesus, who rose, is king
2nd independent clause is: He is glorified.
"And" is the conjunction joining the two clauses.

See my website:
At that site, you will go under "diagramming" and the click on "compound sentences."

Once you have seen how to diagram the two clauses, then look at the following:

"Who rose" is telling who Jesus is, so you should diagram it below "Jesus" with a downward slant, like the participle "crying" in the sample under "participle" on the website.

Place "who" on the slanted line and put "rose" on the straight line.

Then, diagram the second clause below the first clause. Place the word "and" on a straight line between the two verbs "is."

"Glorified" will be in the position of predicate adjective on a stilt since it's a verbal.

Remember that all verbals (like infinitives and participles) are diagrammed on stilts either below the word it modifies or on stilts above the baseline. Check out the diagrams on my website.

Thank you for using All Experts.

Language Arts for Kids

Rosemary Lenc

I am a retired Middle School teacher. I am an expert in grammar (structure of the English language) and writing. I have been a volunteer with AOL Ask A Teacher and have submitted many articles and special collections (one on diagramming sentences and one with worksheets and answers so students can check their own practice on grammar skills) to their knowledge database. I still am with them but would like other work where I can help students with their English study. I have time to help you with this, if you want me. I can help with grade school, middle school and high school grammar & writing and can also look up information on literature (reading) for students and help them with it. Please let me know if I can be of help in these areas. Thank you. Rosemary Lenc

Past/Present clients
Have helped many, many students in grade school language arts, middle school and high
school grammar and writing in both the chat rooms (live help that AOL use to have) and
message board answers plus the many students i have taught as a teacher.