Laos/Land crossing between Myanmar and Laos

I plan to travel between Myanmar (Yangon, Bagan,Inle lake) and Laos (Luang Prabang) in October 2014.

Is there a possibility for foreigners to cross the border overland between these two countries? I will likely cross from Myanmar to Laos so, would visa on arrival be available for Laos at the land crossing. I have an Indian passport and require visas for both countries.

Hi Deepti,

Personally, I have not tried crossing into Laos from Myanmar so I cannot speak from personal experience. I have crossed into Laos from the Thai northern border across the Friendship Bridge and got a visa on arrival.

I checked many sites for information on this and they all seem to say that it is not possible for foreigners to cross over land from Myanmar to Laos and vice versa. These include WikiTravel, Rough Guides, and TripAdvisor.

The Lonely Planet site says this:

"Foreigners are not allowed to cross between Laos and Myanmar. However, with a valid visa you could try to cross at Xieng Kok, on the Mekong north of Huay Xai, though success is far from guaranteed."

Read more:

The official tourism site for Laos says this:

Border Checkpoints
Vang Poung - Ban Muang Mom (Yangon - Bokeo Province) "No Visa-on-arrival"

So, overall, I couldn't recommend it, especially if you have a limited time to travel and cannot afford to take the risk.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Al Slagle

I can answer questions specifically about Vientiane and Vang Vien, Laos. It is a fascinating country and a hidden gem of Southeast Asia!

I have backpacked from Thailand to the capital of Laos. From there I made my way up toward Luang Prabang by motorbike via the town of Vang Vien.