Laos/Land crossing between Myanmar and Laos

Question

I plan to travel between Myanmar (Yangon, Bagan,Inle lake) and Laos (Luang Prabang) in October 2014.

Is there a possibility for foreigners to cross the border overland between these two countries? I will likely cross from Myanmar to Laos so, would visa on arrival be available for Laos at the land crossing. I have an Indian passport and require visas for both countries.

Thanks,
Deepti

Answer
Hi Deepti,

Personally, I have not tried crossing into Laos from Myanmar so I cannot speak from personal experience. I have crossed into Laos from the Thai northern border across the Friendship Bridge and got a visa on arrival.

I checked many sites for information on this and they all seem to say that it is not possible for foreigners to cross over land from Myanmar to Laos and vice versa. These include WikiTravel, Rough Guides, and TripAdvisor.

The Lonely Planet site says this:

"Foreigners are not allowed to cross between Laos and Myanmar. However, with a valid visa you could try to cross at Xieng Kok, on the Mekong north of Huay Xai, though success is far from guaranteed."

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/laos/transport/getting-there-away#ixzz3BX1WHahn

The official tourism site for Laos says this:

Border Checkpoints
Myanmar
Vang Poung - Ban Muang Mom (Yangon - Bokeo Province) "No Visa-on-arrival"

http://www.tourismlaos.org/show.php?Cont_ID=347

So, overall, I couldn't recommend it, especially if you have a limited time to travel and cannot afford to take the risk.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Al

Laos

Al Slagle