Laptops/Laptop suggestions?

We need to get a laptop for our kids, our 15 year old in particular.  He also wants to play games, so speed is important as well as I guess hard drive space.  We'd like to get the best we can in the $300 range, and assume a lot of brands are good--  any suggestions?  Is it like choosing between a Camry, Accord, and Sonata for a car, that it doesn't matter too much among a few good brands?  How much hard drive space, and Mghz and RAM is just enough?  We want enough, but don't want to get more than they need.
Thank you for your suggestions!

Hi Darin;

Gaming laptops need dedicated graphics card which you'll not get on sub-400$ laptops, so you'd not have to expect a good performance from the models I suggest.
No, selecting a laptop is not like choosing between Camry, Accord, and Sonata. Performance and build quality differs too much between models and manufacturers.

In your price range, I would suggest:
-HP Charcoal Gray 15.6''
-Lenovo Essential G500
-Samsung ATIV Book 2 NP270E

The above models are sorted from lowest price to highest. The lower models have better build quality and performance.

Note that you'll not be able to play modern games on these laptops for sure. If you want a cheap gaming laptop, you have to at least triple your budget.

Best Wishes

Mohammad Babaee

I can help you with you laptop hardware problems.

As a professional in computers and digital systems, I can help you with hardware problems and guide you with selecting a new laptop.

-Master's degree in Electronics, Electrical Engineering -Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering