Las Vegas/The Flamingo?

We are planning a short getaway to Vegas, and a friend recommended this hotel. We did a lot of research, and decided we want to be on the strip where we can see more 'stuff'. The Luxor was the original choice until we saw the rates! The Flamingo seemed like a good choice and has a good location (we are flying in and then walking) Is this a good choice? What can we expect and what to you recommend to do? Thanks!

Flamingo is a decent hotel. It is what I'd call a value hotel these days. It is clean and the location is great. It has a beautiful pool area with lots of lagoons. It is within easy walking distance to lots of other hotels and attractions on the strip, like Caesars Palace, the LINQ and High Roller ferris wheel, the Bellagio fountains, the brand new Cromwell hotel, and many others. Plus it has a monorail stop on the back side of the property which gives you easy access to all the hotels on the strip from the MGM up to the new SLS hotel.

I say it's a value property because there are parts of the hotel that could really use some updating. The rooms are small - most have been updated recently but some haven't. The elevators are narrow and rickety. The casino doesn't have much personality. And there aren't very many restaurants at the Flamingo.

One new addition to the hotel is the Jimmy Buffett area. They took an entire wing of the casino and gave it a parrothead theme, and there is a bar and restaurant, which is fun.

So, if you are willing to trade an aging affordable hotel for a great location with access to the middle of the strip, then the Flamingo may be what you are looking for.

One place I would encourage you to check first is They have some pretty competitive rates over the next few months. I just looked at their website and I saw where they are offering some nights at $69 and they have offers for 35%off if you book at least two nights. ALSO: don't forget about resort fees - all Vegas hotels tack on a mandatory resort fee of at least $15-20 per night (including Flamingo). But Treasure Island will waive the fee if you book their "TV Special". I compared some of their rates against Flamingo and they are lower for some dates. Anyway, check them out before you book, because Treasure Island is 10 times nicer than Flamingo.

Hope that helps, feel free to write back with any comments or questions. If you want to tell me your dates, I can help look up the best deals for your trip as well.

Have fun!

Las Vegas

I can tell you detail of every major hotel in Vegas, such as the restaurants they offer and the attractions they maintain, on the Las Vegas Strip. The kind of patrons each hotel attracts. How to play blackjack, both etiquette and strategy. How to obtain comps and make the most of your money when in town. Any Vegas general knowledge.

Past/Present clients
Caesar's Palace, Flamingo Las Vegas, Bally's, Paris and Las Vegas Hilton.