Laser Eye Surgery/Post lasik internal swelling in an eye

Question
Hello Doctor,
I had a combination no. cylindrical & spherical in both eye. I got the wavefront lasik done in June 2012. Since the number still remained he performed a corrective surgery in July 2012.
After that I was told that there are some creases in the flap in the left eye. To correct this in Aug 2012 the doc performed a procedure where in he removed the flap and straightened it in distilled water and then re-fixed it. This badly affected my vision. Everything became cloudy and unclear. The doctor noticed severe internal swelling & immediately advised me to start putting steroid drops. Since then I am putting Pred forte drops with refresh tears drops as advised but the vision is still very dull. Do you think I will ever get my vision back?

Answer
Dear Heena,

LASIK in general is meant to treat both spherical plus cylindrical powers.
I am not sure of the status of your cornea today.

Usually any re treatment is done after a period of 3 months, allowing the initial treatment to stabilize. However, this is not a thumb rule set down, but a general practice. Some doctors may decide to re treat earlier than this time.

The flap striae need to be cleared up as soon as they are noticed, as the longer they stay, the more settled and difficult they get to treat.

Steroid eye drops are used to quieten the cornea, and definitely used for 7 days post LASIK or a re treatment. If they are advised for a longer time, then it is possibly due to delayed healing.

Unless examined, it is difficult to answer what can be the case in you. You can always seek a second opinion. I'm not sure which city you are in, or where you did the treatment. Speak to your treating surgeon for an expectation on the same, or let me know if you are in Mumbai?

Best,
Anand Shroff

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS