Laser Eye Surgery/ICL implantation

Question
I am Karthika.R. and am 26 years old. I am  using glasses for more than 14 years. I never use contact lens. I am going to get married on february 2013. So, to remove glasses permanently, I check my eyes for LASIK treatment. Based on the report, doctors told that am not applicable for LASIK treatment and also to suggested me to take the ICL treatment.. My eye power as per the report is -8.5 (in Right eye with cylinder as -0.50 and -8.25 (in Left eye with cylinder as -1.00). When I searched internet, the ICL treatment will create some problems (early cataract, double vision, glare, etc). So, am in doubt whether ICL treatment is the better solution and it will be the successful for many people. Need your kind suggestions and thanks in advance

Answer
Dear Karthika,

When LASIK is not possible, then the alternative is ICL which suits most people. I, myself have been performing this surgery for many years and have yet to see any patient with a serious untoward outcome.

Yes, wherever LASIK is possible, one prefers that as it is a surgery on the surface of the eye.
However, when done with expertise, ICL is a safe and effective procedure.

Please remember, that both procedures are elective and not a medical need, hence, whether or not to undergo it also largely depends on your need and advantages to reduce / eliminate the powers.

Best Regards,
Dr Anand Shroff
www.lasikindia.in

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS