Laser Eye Surgery/regarding lasik

Question
i wanted to go for lasik procedure n..i have got to know about zyoptix but after visiting shroff eye site  i found that they are using allegretto concreto 500 hz ... what is the difference btw two??
thank you ..

Answer
Dear Rajni,

Zyoptix is the name of the laser of Bausch and Lomb which does LASIK. They confuse the consumer by 'marketing' a terminology which is not medical. LASIK is the medical term for laser eye surgery, it can be done using many lasers amongst which Zyoptix is one. We did not opt for Zyoptix even though we would have been the first in India to have used so!

The 217 B & L is the earlier gen laser, their newer laser being the Zyoptix.  217 has a speed of 50 Hz which the Zyoptix has improved to 100 Hz. We work at a speed of 500 Hz with our Wavelight Concerto laser machine. I have given the reason why this speed [Hz] is important below.
I have compared their Zyoptix laser with our machine.

The Wavelight Concerto Laser which we use has better technology than the B & L [Zyoptix] Z100 in our experience.

1.The Zyoptix takes off much more cornea than the Wavelight laser which we use.
2. The Zyoptix comes with a Hansatome which makes a thick flap and uses more of the corneal tissue, leaving behind a very thin stromal bed
3. During the Zyoptix treatment the laser will stop many times since it treats in phases with several pauses during the actual laser firing time. This is not so with the Wavelight, which treats the numbers off in one go as it has a plume removal system.
4. The Wavelight comes with an attatched Slit-Lamp which ensures an absolutely clean interface.
5.The Zyoptix machine comes with open optics which has more exposure to dust etc.

In summary, when you opt for LASIK, you opt for accuracy, whcih comes out of the technology used in addition to expertise of surgeon etc.
Hence, Concerto laser is ahead of Zyoptix

Hope this helps.

To schedule an appointment, please call 66921000.

Best
Dr Shroff
www.lasikindia.in  

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS