Laser Eye Surgery/About Lasek

Question
Dear Sir,
   I am about to undergo laser treatment for my eye. I have -4.75 in each eye. My corneal thickness is 460 microns. They suggested to undergo surface ablation (epi LASEK). They planned to do a surgery with less tissue loss using guard. They said "Normal tissue loss:120 microns. Using guard:70 microns". Also they found a nerve barrage in the left which can be corrected by a simple procedure. If I undergo lasik(pressure applied on eye), they said it is compulsory to treat the barrage. If I undergo surface procedure(PRK), they say it is not neccesary. Also some say after surgery reccurrence of myopia maybe possible. I need suggestion from you sir. I have clearly explained my condition. Awaiting your reply eagerly sir.

Answer
Dear Hari,

Unfortunately, choosing a candidate for any laser surgery, needs a thorough check up in person.

Yes, your cornea thickness is an issue for routine LASIK.

Also, one needs to know size of pupil in dim light among other checks to make sure there are no post laser side effects of night vision.

If there is any weak area on the retina, one must consider treating that (usually Argon Laser treatment).

If in Mumbai, I shall be happy to help you and give you a clear roadmap.

Best,
Dr Anand Shroff
www.lasikindia.in

022-66921000

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS