Laser Eye Surgery/Laser barrage preceding MICS

i am a 62 years old academic who uses the computer extensively for my teaching work. I have developed cataract in both the eyes, with the left being worse. On examination, the surgeon referred me to a retina expert, who, in turn, after examination, informed me that there are some weak points in my left retina which may worsen under the stress of MICS. He advised laser barrage preceding the cataract operation. I would like to know 1) Is the procedure absolutely necessary, 2) Can micro-incision surgeries affect the retinal "weak points" and cause localized detachment, 3) Are there are any side effects to the barrage procedure and, 4) what is the average cost of the procedure in a private/paid center?

Dear Prabeer,
Coming straigh to your questions:

1. Is laser barrage necessary? this can only be answered by the examining eye surgeon. It is not unusual to do this treatment before cataract or any other surgery on the eye like a laser eye surgery. as during the handling of the eye, one needs to make sure that weak spots on the retina are treated. This is usually seen in high myopes

2. any eye surgery may affect weak spots on the retina

2. There are no side effects which are long term

3. Usually costs depend from centre to centre, in our hospital it is around Rs 3000/- per sitting

Do read more on Argon Laser treatment on

Hope this helps
Dr Shroff

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I am happy to answer any questions on eye care. My expertise is in Laser Eye surgery (LASIK, Epi LASIK), Multifocal Implants, Cataract, Glaucoma and procedures for Corneal abnormalities like Keratoconus - Corneal Collagen Crosslinking C3R

OF LASIK, We are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures and the only center in India using the most safest,accurate and fastest excimer laser in the world- 'The Wavelight Concerto, 500 Hz laser'. Doctors from various parts of the world train with me and few other experts in Germany each year on our wavefront procedures. Our centre is the first eye hospital to be awarded the highest certfication in healthcare- the Joint Commission International (JCI from USA) and is also the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India. We have treated patients from 89 countries and this list keeps growing as more and more patients are getting increasingly aware of the benefits of treatment with advanced technology in laser eye surgery.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and