Laser Eye Surgery/Laser barrage preceding MICS

Question
i am a 62 years old academic who uses the computer extensively for my teaching work. I have developed cataract in both the eyes, with the left being worse. On examination, the surgeon referred me to a retina expert, who, in turn, after examination, informed me that there are some weak points in my left retina which may worsen under the stress of MICS. He advised laser barrage preceding the cataract operation. I would like to know 1) Is the procedure absolutely necessary, 2) Can micro-incision surgeries affect the retinal "weak points" and cause localized detachment, 3) Are there are any side effects to the barrage procedure and, 4) what is the average cost of the procedure in a private/paid center?

Answer
Dear Prabeer,
Coming straigh to your questions:

1. Is laser barrage necessary? this can only be answered by the examining eye surgeon. It is not unusual to do this treatment before cataract or any other surgery on the eye like a laser eye surgery. as during the handling of the eye, one needs to make sure that weak spots on the retina are treated. This is usually seen in high myopes

2. any eye surgery may affect weak spots on the retina

2. There are no side effects which are long term

3. Usually costs depend from centre to centre, in our hospital it is around Rs 3000/- per sitting

Do read more on Argon Laser treatment on http://www.shroffeye.org/services-view/argon-laser/

Hope this helps
Best
Dr Shroff

www.shroffeye.org

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS