Laser Eye Surgery/phacoemulsification cataract surgery and trabeculectomy glaucoma surgery

Question
My father is 91 years old in relatively good health and is considering undergoing the above procedure.  What is your opinion on having a 91 year old man undergo this procedure?  The follow up care and eye drops etc are my main concern as he currently lives alone although I check on him daily.  What is the return on the risk?  His glaucoma is advanced in the 95%  How much improvement in the quality of his life can we expect?  Thank you

Answer
Dear Denise,

Do speak to his treating surgeon regarding this as this is case specific.

His age, if in good health does not pose a high risk for surgery as most are done under topical anesthesia.

question is, is this surgery going to help? can be answered by the examining doctor alone.

If his glacoma is so advanced, you need to find out if there is already any optic nerve damage and doing a cataract- is it going to benefit him or improve vision.

At the same time, if the cataract is very mature, one needs to undergo it if possible.

Take this with your eye surgeon, as the examination findings best help one what to plan.

Regards

Dr Anand Shroff

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS