Laser Eye Surgery/Lasik Problems

Question
I recently had Lasik on August 12, 2014. A week later I started experiencing hazy vision as if you are trying to see through a clear shower curtain. My doctor who did the surgery on me told me that it was just me having dry eyes and sent me back to work(offshore). But my first day was so dangerous that my job sent me home. I revisited my doctor throwing me on different medications like Predforte, Lotemax, artificial tears such as Refresh Advanced,  Refresh pm, Systane balance,  and Systane Gel. Still no luck. Then he mentioned that it could be DLK. I really didn't know what that was until he explained it and told me to go home to research it myself. My job put me on sick leave until my vision is resolved. For weeks I used my meds, followed by artificial tears, but still my vision dropped from 20/25, 20/30, to 20/40. He sent me to corneal specialist, where I was soon told that I was stage 4 of DLK and that I needed immediate surgery by lifting the flap again to drain the inflammation. My eye doctor did the procedures of lifting my flap last Tuesday (October 14, 2014).  Two visits after the relifting the flap to see if it would make things better,  my vision readings were still in the 20/30~20/40  range.  But his finding of the reasons is that my eyes are still showing that there is dry spots still on the eye. I've done so much to keep them lubricant. I've been miserable for 2 months and a half And could bearly see. I have a follow appointment with the specialist again to get a second option this Friday.

Answer
Hi Cornell,

Unfortunately you are in one of the rare statistics of post LASIK issues termed 'DLK'.

However, more than lubricating eye drops, steroid eye drops are required to settle down the inflammation.

I have seen cases improve in lines of sight even months after having a drop in vision.

The usual course is using steroid + lubrication. Also, re lifting the flap should have helped. Just give it some time and do not lose faith. in some cases, oral steroids may also be indicated.

Yes, the second opinion may help.

Best

Anand Shroff
MS OPHTH FICS
www.shroffeye.org

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS