Laser Eye Surgery/cataract surgery

Question
My mother in law is of the age eighty. Is cataract surgery by phaco safe for her? I have heard people saying that at this age she won't be able to withstand it if the surgery is done by phaco. we are keen to the surgery by phaco. Please clear my doubts as soon as possible, as she will be undergoing for the surgery in coming week. Thanks.

Answer
Dear Prajakta,

We have performed cataract on someone over 90 years as well by Phaco. Phacoemulsification is the most modren way to treat cataracts. The only time we cannot do this procedure is when the cataract is very hard and can give rise to complications, then the older method with stitches is needed. To do Phaco or not is not dependent on her age but examination findings of the cataract itself.

If you question safety in general:
What is most important is:
1. the need for cataract- which is determined by how much sight she has lost due to it, and her examination findings with the eye doctor
2. Her general health to see if she is fit to undergo any surgery
3. How much physically active she is, to decide what lens to use, if found fit?

All these answers come from your ophthalmologist. Follow his/her advise.

Best
Dr Shroff
www.shroffeye.org

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS