Laser Eye Surgery/Glaucoma & Cataract

Question
QUESTION: Hello Doctor.   My Name is Praduman Singh. My age is 28 yrs & I belong to Delhi.Twenty years ago I had inflammation in pars plana of both eyes. I was treated with    steoriods  for one & half year.Problem of inflammation was recovered at that time but cataract was developed in my both eyes at that time. For 18yrs I spent time  using specticals & was not feeling any problem.Last year during regular eye check up doctors found that IOP in both eyes is exceeding level of  30. At present I am using Alphagan, Dorzox T & Betagan but still my IOP fluctuates around 20. My OCT & VFA are Ok.There is no any significant change but I want to reduce the reqquirement of medicines since it is very difficult to maintain the timings in my busy schedule.      Somebody has told me about Endoscopic cyclo photo coagulation using laser.Please advise whether effect of ECP will be permanent or it will be temporary just like other laser surgeries of glaucoma.

Dr Mannu C Rajnani
Dr Mannu C Rajnani  
ANSWER: ANSWER: DEAR PRADUMAN SINGH

Thank you for your query

YOU HAVENT mentioned if you got operated for cataract
also as you said your IOP is hovering above 30 right
See even if your OCT & VFA is ok persisteant microscopic damage does tend to occur thats the main reason
Glaucoma is called "SILENT KILLER",
Yes Endoscopic cytophotocoagulation does help temporarily but again if IOP starts fluctuating you will
waste time in false hopes and damage continues
best would be to go in for AHMED VALVE which will give you better control of pressure and mostly reduce your medication and this serves 2 purpose one gives better control of your IOP and second with your busy schedule gives you relief from frequent medications  

please revert back to me if you have any additional query

Dr Mannu C Rajnani Dr Mannu Laser Eye Surgeries,
1st Floor Society  Plot 433 TPS3 15th Road Khar(West)Mumbai 400052  INDIA  
Tel:Hospital:91-22-26004467-26006801-26007828 / 919664101201
Dr's Mobile:91-9821032072

QUESTION: Thanks Doctor for your reply.

Till date i have not operated for cataract. I still have cataract in my both eyes.

Is there any complication of Ahmed Valve like other surgeries of Glaucome i.e. Trabeculetomy ? Can Ahmed Valved be combined with cataract surgery ?

Answer
ANSWER: ANSWER: DEAR PRADUMAN SINGH

Thank you for your query

Since you say you havent got operated for cataract
It is known most of times cataract being present by itself can cause
IOP to be on higher side so best for you would be to
Just immediately get operated for cataract and same time antiglaucoma
Combined surgery and most of times
IOP gets controlled with just cataract and antiglaucoma surgery
So once cataract with intraocular lens is done you wait
And see how your IOP modulates and mostly if it is under
Control there may be no need of so many medicatons
Or no need for any secondary surgery like ahmed valve
So please get this primary cataract surgery with antiglaucome
With intraocular lens inplant surgery done
Please do that immediately and dont wait till further
Damage

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Mannu C Rajnani