Laser Eye Surgery/cataracts

Question
   I had lasik 10 years ago and did excellent.  Lately things have been cloudy.  I went for an enhancement and they said my vision is still excellent but I have cataracts probably caused from being on steroids a while back.  I can see clearly except at certain angles and it drives me crazy, like looking out a dirty window.
   Why can't I get them taken out right now instead of waiting.  They said come back next year and we will check to see if you need the surgery.  Why not now?

Answer
Dear Don,

Not sure why they said that, but my guess is that the cataracts are not mature.
However, yes, today the approach has changed from waiting to let it mature, to treat it when it starts bothering you in your day to day tasks.
Also, knowing that you had done LASIK with the intention of being free from glasses, you can look into multifocal lenses from Zeiss, as they achieve very good vision for all focusses, esp the Trifocal lenses. This of course, when you consider undergoing the procedure.
Cataract surgery is never an emergency, hence they may have asked you to wait as there is no immediate risk it is imposing in your eye.
However, a refractive surgeon (one who does LASIK) and also does cataract, would be an ideal surgeon for you.

The formula applied to insertion of lens post cataract is slightly different when you have undergone LASIK.

hence, an experienced LASIK + cataract surgeon is your ideal one.

Hope this helps,

If you were in India (Mumbai), would have been glad to help.

Best,
Anand Shroff
www.shroffeye.org
www.lasikindia.in

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS