Laser Eye Surgery/Is Lasik surgery for me?

QUESTION: Hi, I have -13 power in left eye and -14 power in right eye. Wondering if I can hv lasik surgery. If yes, then what is the maximum correction in power I can expect. Thanks.

ANSWER: Dear Raj,

At such high powers, LASIK is not advisable. However, you may look at Implantable Contact Lenses or ICL's.
These would be a safer and more effective solution. We have treated powers as high as -23 D with ICL's.
It is pointless to do LASIK and have some numbers left behind, when another safe surgery can possibly rid you off the entire power.

Do read more about ICL on

Best regards
Dr Anand Shroff

QUESTION: Hi Dr. Anand,
Thanks for getting back to me. I do have a follow up question and would really appreciate if you can provide your views on the same:
Would newer technologies namely, Relex Smile or Q-lasik be of any help in my case or do you still advocate going in for ICL?
Looking forword for your views.

Hi Raj,
Usually, the eligibility criteria for ReLex -smile, remain similar to that of LASIK, esp in your case as the powers are fairly high. If you were borderline at -10.00 D or so, it would be different.
So, yes, as my experience goes, an ICL should be your first choice.
Anand Shroff

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I am happy to answer any questions on eye care. My expertise is in Laser Eye surgery (LASIK, Epi LASIK), Multifocal Implants, Cataract, Glaucoma and procedures for Corneal abnormalities like Keratoconus - Corneal Collagen Crosslinking C3R

OF LASIK, We are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures and the only center in India using the most safest,accurate and fastest excimer laser in the world- 'The Wavelight Concerto, 500 Hz laser'. Doctors from various parts of the world train with me and few other experts in Germany each year on our wavefront procedures. Our centre is the first eye hospital to be awarded the highest certfication in healthcare- the Joint Commission International (JCI from USA) and is also the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India. We have treated patients from 89 countries and this list keeps growing as more and more patients are getting increasingly aware of the benefits of treatment with advanced technology in laser eye surgery.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and