Laser Eye Surgery/barrage laser for retinal thinning

Question
REspected sir,

I ama 64 years old.Ihave matured nuclear cataract on both eyes.However I am able to manage both day and night vision with -7l,-9R glasses.I am having floaters on both eyes.When I bend I get rotating light beads in top periphery of both eyes.I had eye check ups in 4 centres.All centres suggested cataract surgery.Two centres suggested barrage laser treatment in the right eye for AMD and retinal thinning before cataract surgery..Two centres have not suggested the same.Kindly enlighten me in the following aspects.

1.is barrage laser surgery proven for improvement of  retinal thinning

2.A few internet expert answers say it is not useful for improving retinal thinning and done to benefit the doctor than the patient.What is youe esteemed opininion.

3.Some expert answers in the net. say that since BL is done for the entire retina it may weaken the healthy portions of the retina though may reinforce the weak spot
4.I have cataract for the past 10 years.Can I avoid surgery only depending on spectacles.

5.What is your valuable opinion regarding BL treatment and cataract surgery for my case.
I am a controlled Hyper tension and diabetic patient.

Answer
Dr Mannu C Rajnani

DEAR Gopinath

Thank you for your query
YES most important first thing to do will be barrage laser which will strengthen the weak retina because of yiu high myopic status
Once barraage laser done you will need to wait few weeks
And then get operated for cataract surgery since you have matured nuclear cataracts

please revert back to me if you have any additional query

Dr Mannu C Rajnani Dr Mannu Laser Eye Surgeries,
1st Floor Society  Plot 433 TPS3 15th Road Khar(West)Mumbai 400052  INDIA  
Tel:Hospital:91-22-26004467-26006801-26007828 / 919664101201
Dr's Mobile:91-9821032072

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Mannu C Rajnani