Laser Eye Surgery/DLK Haze IOP

Question
Left Eye
Left Eye  
Right Eye
Right Eye  
QUESTION: Hi there,
   It's Cornell again. Recently we had discussions prior from me suffering from DLK, haze, IOP, and Scarring. I've cut loose my lasik surgery doctor and was referred to the cornea specialist who found more problems than I thought I had. However, I was handed to a glaucoma specialist referred by the cornea specialist because of my extreme eye pressure, followed by swollen cornea, haze, and difficulties seeing the through the cornea. My eye pressure was at least 31 and 33 in each eye. I've been under the glaucoma specialist for a month and was put on medications to bring down the pressure such as combigan(twice a day), lumigan(before bed), and acetazolamide 500 mg twice a day. We got the pressure down to 11 and 15  in each eye. He took me off the acetazolamide and wanted to see me within a week to see if the pressure rises but after the recent visit, he told me that my eye pressure was fantastically 16 and 18 in each eye. He said he wanted to see me within a month stretch to see how it goes and then wants to take me off of glaucoma meds such as  combigan and lumigan to see how it goes before releasing me back to the cornea specialist to determine the next move on my cornea. He did mention that he was very shocked on the progression but threw in a guess that the cornea specialist may not want to do anything else to my eyes due to me going through so much with this glaucoma war after being drugged up with predforte eye drops and prednisone oral tablets for months even if there is a positive fixture to seeing clearly. To be honest, that brought my spirit down, because I went through so many years battling glasses and contacts while coming up with the expense to affording lasik and fighting for months with dlk, lifting the flap twice to drain the inflammation out, and etc., to be told that his guess is that the cornea specialist may not want to do anything. I keep hearing him say that I have scarring. Is there a cure for scarring besides cornea transplant? If so how and what? I ordered to have my medical reports released to me and seen things that I never knew I had such as epithelial growth, Keratitis sicca, steriods introduced secondary glaucoma, Lissamine staining with grade 2+ and etc. I never had the chance to enjoy my lasik vision period. Is there any hope? If I was your patient, what would be the steps on addressing this or what do I need to ask the glaucoma specialist as well as the cornea specialist when I see him. I have two pictures of my cornea. I did the best I could to take them. So far my vision is 20/25 left and 20/30 in right. My vision is still not clear. I really pray that things can get better. I miss being normal!!!!

Dr Mannu C Rajnani
Dr Mannu C Rajnani  
ANSWER: DEAR CORNELL

Thank you for your query

Thanx for the picture

1] EXtremely happy that your Intraocular pressure has come to normal and your vision seems to have improved though partially
2] from your pictures it seems your central cornea is quite clear of course i can see the scarring and also epithelial in growth but that is at periphery so i personally feel at this stage nothing to be done just wait and have lots of patience and i am sure you will improve definitely once your intraocular pressure remains within normal limits your corneal edema will subside and cause betterment of vision
3] of course if epithelial in growth may cause problems if it grows towards visual axis but that can be easily tackled
so rest assured you seem to be on Right Track of recovery but it may be slow so just wait for a month or so

please revert back to me if you have any additional query

Dr Mannu C Rajnani Dr Mannu Laser Eye Surgeries,
1st Floor Society  Plot 433 TPS3 15th Road Khar(West)Mumbai 400052  INDIA  
Tel:Hospital:91-22-26004467-26006801-26007828 / 919664101201

QUESTION: Thanks. So far this is so stressful. To be dealing with this for months is so scary. When you say that if the epithelial growth grows towards vision axis, you mentioned that it can easily be tackled. How and what steps are there to address it?

Answer
Dr Mannu C Rajnani
Dr Mannu C Rajnani  
DEAR CORNELL

Thank you for your query

Just a friendly advice please don t pick up only negative aspect, it may not be necessery so dont think of any epithelial in growth at this stage, you seem to have improved and corneal clearing up that is most important at this stage so please concentraTE ON THAT INSTEAD of filling your mind with something which may never happen so rest assured be happy and please keep following up with glaucoma specialist and also cornea specialist and dont worry think positive and you will be on RIGHT track

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Mannu C Rajnani