Laser Eye Surgery/C3R and Intacs cost

Question
QUESTION: I would like to know the cost of Intacs and C3R. When I researched on internet I found these figures are pretty high in USA as compared to India. I can come to India in case the actual surgery cost varies a lot.

ANSWER: Dear Prachi,
I personally do not advocate Intacs. However, C3R is something that one must consider if diagnosed with keratoconus.
Do write to info@shroffeye.org for a quote from us at Shroff Eye Mumbai.
Thanks,
Dr Shroff

QUESTION: Thanks Dr. Anand.
I am confused. Why do you not advocate Intacs? My right eye which is advanced Keratoconus, is not giving good results with Rose K2, neither in fitting nor vision. I have a follow up session with my optometrist for Scleral Lens trial. I am wondering if success rates of INTACS are low?
I know comparing Intacs and Scleral lens is illogical as one is  a procedure and other is Lens but I am trying to weigh in for my advanced keratoconus eye condition for better vision.

Answer
Dear Prachi,

Intacs, Rose K Lenses etc are different ways to improve vision, not treat the keratoconus.
So, if C3R or crosslinking has not yet been done, provided you are fit for it, this should be your first step.

Intacs are surgically implanted in the cornea by making a tunnel for them in the corneal tissue. This after C3R is against the logic of having fixed the keratoconus with C3R, hence my prefernce is to first do the C3R to stop the progression of keratoconus and then in phase 2, when things have stabilized, see alternatives like Rose K lenses.

I hope this made sense.

Best
Anand Shroff

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS