Laser Eye Surgery/C3R and Intacs cost

QUESTION: I would like to know the cost of Intacs and C3R. When I researched on internet I found these figures are pretty high in USA as compared to India. I can come to India in case the actual surgery cost varies a lot.

ANSWER: Dear Prachi,
I personally do not advocate Intacs. However, C3R is something that one must consider if diagnosed with keratoconus.
Do write to for a quote from us at Shroff Eye Mumbai.
Dr Shroff

QUESTION: Thanks Dr. Anand.
I am confused. Why do you not advocate Intacs? My right eye which is advanced Keratoconus, is not giving good results with Rose K2, neither in fitting nor vision. I have a follow up session with my optometrist for Scleral Lens trial. I am wondering if success rates of INTACS are low?
I know comparing Intacs and Scleral lens is illogical as one is  a procedure and other is Lens but I am trying to weigh in for my advanced keratoconus eye condition for better vision.

Dear Prachi,

Intacs, Rose K Lenses etc are different ways to improve vision, not treat the keratoconus.
So, if C3R or crosslinking has not yet been done, provided you are fit for it, this should be your first step.

Intacs are surgically implanted in the cornea by making a tunnel for them in the corneal tissue. This after C3R is against the logic of having fixed the keratoconus with C3R, hence my prefernce is to first do the C3R to stop the progression of keratoconus and then in phase 2, when things have stabilized, see alternatives like Rose K lenses.

I hope this made sense.

Anand Shroff

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS

I am happy to answer any questions on eye care. My expertise is in Laser Eye surgery (LASIK, Epi LASIK), Multifocal Implants, Cataract, Glaucoma and procedures for Corneal abnormalities like Keratoconus - Corneal Collagen Crosslinking C3R

OF LASIK, We are one of the first centres to use the wavefront guided LASIK or custom LASIK procedures and the only center in India using the most safest,accurate and fastest excimer laser in the world- 'The Wavelight Concerto, 500 Hz laser'. Doctors from various parts of the world train with me and few other experts in Germany each year on our wavefront procedures. Our centre is the first eye hospital to be awarded the highest certfication in healthcare- the Joint Commission International (JCI from USA) and is also the referral centre for our Wavelight Laser Technologies, Germany in India. We have treated patients from 89 countries and this list keeps growing as more and more patients are getting increasingly aware of the benefits of treatment with advanced technology in laser eye surgery.

ASCRS [American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery]certified by USA- Joint Commission International

MD Ophthalmology and FICS [Fellow of the International College of Surgeons]

please see and