Laser Eye Surgery/Dlk/scar/ spots/ e. growth

Question
QUESTION: We discussed about the possibility of my vision getting better from corneal healing. However, returning back to work would be a challenge for me. At night it gets very hazy, even indoors. Only times it's good is when I am out doors on a sunny day when it's much light. My job is dangerous working offshore, especially at night. I made an appointment with another doctor to get their opinion on what to do, because even though I was told that I have 20/20, I don't feel that I do, especially indoors and at night. I feel unsafe with returning at this moment. So far, I really don't know what is the time span of my cornea healing, but I've started taking Centrum specialist energy multivitamin and 500 mg vitamin C for the past few days.

Dr Mannu C Rajnani
Dr Mannu C Rajnani  
ANSWER: DEAR CORNELL

Thank you for your query

Again i reiterate that dont be in hurry for anything if you wish you can wear glares or numbered glares while working in sunlight to cut off the glare i personally am not in favour of contact lenses at this stage and continue with tablets n eye drops

please revert back to me if you have any additional query

Dr Mannu C Rajnani Dr Mannu Laser Eye Surgeries,
1st Floor Society  Plot 433 TPS3 15th Road Khar(West)Mumbai 400052  INDIA  
Tel:Hospital:91-22-26004467-26006801-26007828 / 919664101201
Image: dr-mannu-c_59

Image from doctor
Image from doctor  
Collage of left and right Eye
Collage of left and ri  
QUESTION: Hello there. This is the guy who suffered grim DLK. I haven't spoke to you in a while. I've went to another doctor for another opinion. My vision was 20/20 but when she seen my cornea, she told me that there was a big clump of milky looking epithelial growth at the bottom of the cornea, wrinkles, and spots in the cornea. She took pictures, but they did not print out bright enough like it showed on the monitor to print out and send to you. My eyes were dry and w put on restasis and on Muro 128 (5%) to see if it kills the epithelial growth cells. A month went by as my vision fluctuated throughout the day and very poor indoors and at night. My job sent me on leave of absence to get a written document from my doctor to see if they need to put me on sick leave or do something around the office light duty or something. I sat a home for the next available appointment. When I saw her again, she said I was seeing 20/20 and it would be pointless to write a statement, putting on paper that I got 20/20. I told her that how and the hell I got 20/20 but is still having a hazy view. Just because I can make out letters on the board, it's poor quality. She told me that it's cornea issues. She said that if the epithelial growth disappears, my quality will slowly come back. She said that the muro 128 has cleared some few spots a little and to continue using it. She says that she's trying to see if the muro will work to keep from relifting the flap because the epithelial could return if she does. I asked is this a life time or permanent situation to deal with. She said that she can't answer that at the moment and to have patience. I burst into tears, because her refusing to write a note, how am I going to work offshore if my quality is poor. I burst into tears because finances are low and all these months has been hell, regretting lasik. She told me to find something at home. BUT I LOVE MY JOB. I asked about the hard contact lens. She said it may help. I asked will it affect my healing or the 20/20 I so called have or infect my cornea from bacteria. She said no so I made a appointment to get fitted this Wednesday but is very skeptical about it. But I'm doing whatever it takes to keep my job before they let me go even wearing contacts defeats the purpose of lasik in the first place. I am a taking my vitamins c and multivitamins. Does wrinkles disappear? Anyways, sorry to bother you. I am lost on what is going on and what to do.

Dr Mannu C Rajnani
Dr Mannu C Rajnani  
ANSWER: DEAR CORNELL

Thank you for your query

From your corneal pictures it looks like much much clearer cornea than when you had this problem and i am really happy about the cornea clearing and since you say ur vision is 20/20 that makes me more happier
regarding your fluctuating vision that tends to remain from quite few months and this i had told you earlier too that corneal healing is very slow lenghty process which takes that much time so the only thing to do is to have TONS of patience and ofcourse regular if not 15 days but every month regular check up
if you feel your vision is less in night or whenever there is less light it will be good for you to carry some additional light source on your helmet or cap or in hand to solve your problem

Image: dr-mannu-c_59

QUESTION: What are the spots and wrinkles.And do you feel that the epithelial growth will disappear with the help of the muro. Also, again, she said the hard contacts may help and won't affect the healing process. It was would only make my cornea smooth on the surface. I've tried headlamps but the haze is still a challenge at night.

Answer
Dr Mannu C Rajnani
Dr Mannu C Rajnani  
DEAR CORNELL

Thank you for your query

basically they are corneal fold and inflammatory swelling, yes epithelial growth if it doesnt in grow may dissapear but you will have to wait and see how it develops,  YES you can give hard contact lenses a try

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Mannu C Rajnani