Laser Eye Surgery/Epithelial in growthh

Question
QUESTION: Hello it's me again. However, this has been a long road for me with the dlk and etc. I have recently visit my new doctor this pass Friday. The problem that is preventing perfect vision is the epithelial in growth. So far for the pass 3 months, I've been on Muro 128 5 % to kill the cells and flush them out and restasis(due to dry eyes). She said that she doesn't want to go back into my cornea and remove the epithelial because it could return if so or cause my vision to decrease. She told me that she thinks the Muro is working. I'm confused because I thought the only way to get rid of epithelial is to lift the flap and scrap or pull it out. She said that the epithelial is so thick and has so much that it will take time to flush out from using muro 128 but my question is where is the epithelial flushing to that she mentioned and secondly isn't it dangerous to prolong the wait of epithelial in growth because of its reputation of melting to the flap if not removed soon as possible? My eye pressure was 12 and 14 and vision was 20/20 and 20/25.

Dr Mannu C Rajnani
Dr Mannu C Rajnani  
ANSWER: EAR CORNELL

Thank you for your query

Yes epithelial growth will NOT go with eye drops , it needs to be scrapped off but because of your past history it will be better if you wait and see how it develops because scrapping can be done at any moment and i personally dont think there is any problem with waiting n seeing how it develops more so because your vision is almost 20/20, hazy yes but vision better so wait for another month or so if NOT then it will better to lift flap and do epithelial debritement

please revert back to me if you have any additional query

Dr Mannu C Rajnani Dr Mannu Laser Eye Surgeries,
1st Floor Society  Plot 433 TPS3 15th Road Khar(West)Mumbai 400052  INDIA  
Tel:Hospital:91-22-26004467-26006801-26007828 / 919664101201

QUESTION: But don't waiting so long can be a case where it could give the epithelial in growth a chance to melt, right? And again, she is depending on the eye drops to flush it out. I know that I can have perfect vision if this in growth can be tooken out. I just knows it!!!!

ANSWER: DEAR CORNELL

Thank you for your query

Personally i dont think it will cause any melting effect and if you are following up regularly we can always check on your epithelial in growth development and decide when to intervene sometimes it is better to delay the procedure so as to let the eye heal by itself because repeated faster intervention may lead to more issues so wait and have patience and since you have IMPROVED so much after initial problems it is more advisable to wait and see and epithelial in growth debritement can be done anytime one feels its necessary then so let the eye heal and let the inflammation settle and then take a call regarding lifting the corneal flap   

QUESTION: Okay, my question is if Muro 128 5% eye drops will not get the epithelial out, then why she is so sure and thinks it will flush the epithelial in growth out? I've been researching and seen how it is removed with great progress an satisfaction. Just wondering why I have to suffer and wait with this film of in growth that's blocking the clear quality of my 20/20. I lost my job over all this patience and being sent home to be seen two months later while experimenting on me to see what will work. Just asking doc..I am hanging in there though.

Answer
DEAR CORNELL

Thank you for your query

YOU are questioning clinical judgement of your eye doctor and if you feel you have solutions by looking up the internet then there is NO need to go to your eye doctor you can treat yourself, there is always a protocol CONSERVATIVE regime to be followed especially in COMPLICATED eyes like yours so as NOT to cause any damage so in such things one need to have lots of patience and think of LONG term benefits and not short term and also there is NO magic cures everything has its time and place and intervention again in terms of lifting the flap and debriding again has to be done cautiously

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Mannu C Rajnani