Laser Eye Surgery/Central Serous Retinopathy(CSR)

Question
My 56 year old brother is suffering from Central Serous Retinopathy.OCT test has detected this.As this problem resolves on its own in 90% of the cases no medicine has been prescribed.After 6 months if the problem does not resolve then FFA Angiogram will be done and if necessary Laser/PDT may have to be done.During this 6 months periodic OCT may have to be done for checking the eye condition.
My Question is whether LASER/PDT can really help him in GAINING BACK VISION ACUITY and whether the Laser/PDT will leave any scar mark.Please help with your answer

Answer
Dear Kalyan,
Most cases of CSR resolve in 3 months. If not resolved, then only after 3 months does one consider Argon laser treatment or PDT or some even consider anti VEGF injections.
What is best is usually decided by the protocols of the retinal surgeon you seek. Yes, monitoring is important during this period with the retinal specialist. Risk of doing the laser where one would fear scarring is only if the surgeon is not skilled, nature of disease, and  also if the area affected is close to the macula (sight giving area in the retina). Hence, to know answers to all this, it would be best to speak with the treating specialist.
In our centre in Mumbai, Dr Rahul Shroff would need to examine your brother to know what is best suited for him.
Hope this helps,
Best
Dr Anand Shroff
Shroff Eye Mumbai

Laser Eye Surgery

Dr Anand Shroff, MD, FICS